Sunday, July 29, 2007

C.S. Lewis Lecture Notebook

I wrote before about John, the adorable elderly man from my Bible study group whom I bring Latin notes to because he loves translating it with me and he was on of C.S. Lewis' pupils in the 1950s... Well, he decided to loan me his notebook from when he was 19 years old with a lot of C.S. Lewis lectures in it! There are lectures on Joyce, Chaucer, Malory, Shakespeare, and Donne! It is a really old bound notebook, the pages are yellowed and brittle and he obviously used an oldschool fountain pen in it. It's pretty. I've read about 3/4 of it already. It is so funny because I am taking a class on Malory as well as one on Shakespeare here now, so it is neat to read his notes on what Lewis taught in this town 50 years ago- exactly what I am learning about here now. He told me to be careful with it, so I am. I'm just flattered that he doesn't mind me borrowing it because I know he values it alot.


I made him a gift in return. I haven't given it to him yet but I am excited about it. I painted the Lord's prayer in Latin on some textured brown paper and then mounted it on some reddishbrown paper. I think he will like it alot.

No comments: