Friday, June 8, 2007

More on Faith

Read the previous post before reading this one. Before I bring up sin, I want you know that I am not one of those Christians who focuses on sin. I emphasize love and acceptance more; and it is true that God wants us to sin the least amount possible but it is important that we don't define our faith walk as "trying not to sin." I used to live my life from conviction to conviction, but that is silly and dissappointing. So continuing the faith talk from earlier, Romans 14:23"Everything that does not come from faith is sin." So what I talked about earlier was that we need to step out in faith when God commands us to go do something, but when we decide to go do something without Him being in it, we are sinning. "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding." Proverb 3:5. Because we don't understand.

I just came upon something that really comforted me: Wayne and I were talking a while back about whether or not God punishes sinners. We know that he forgives sinners (everyone that is), but we know that there are consequences for sins. Like I dont think he necessarily says, Oh, you are a drunkard and I commanded you not to drink that much so now i will smite you... No. It is more like God commanded us not to be drunkards BECAUSE he knows that it will not bring us joy. Some think that God is just trying to suck the fun out life, but he is not. We are his creation and he knows us better than we know ourselves, so he tells us what to do to try to guide us to the joy that life can bring. Back to indirect consequences, People who give into excessive drunkeness ruin their families, hurt their health, and often lose themselves in it. People who sleep around may get STDs, have a child they aren't ready for, and they may have trouble being loyal to one partner in marriage. (not that the child can't turnout to be an amazing blessing) People who are hateful don't have good friendships. Anyway, here is the scripture I found. Job 8:3-7. "Does God pervert justice? Does the Almighty pervert what is right? When your children sinned against him, he gave them over to the penalty of their sin. But if you will look to God and plead with the Almighty, if you are pure and upright, even now he will rouse himself on your behalf and restore you to your rightful place. Your beginnings will seem humble, so prosperous will your future be."

No comments: